Tuesday, October 9, 2007

ESL of BCCAP

The ESL class of BCCAP started today. It's a beginner's class as I wrote on Oct. 6th. The students were 12, 8 from central and south America, one from Iran, one from China and two from Japan including me. The woman next to me was from Colombia. I was wondering when to tell them I understand some Spanish. Fortunately, the teacher asked me what languages I speak so I confessed that I studied Spanish before. Some people turned to me but they seemed not to be surprised. Then I talked to the woman next to me in Spanish and she started talking in Spanish. I sometimes feel that Spanish speakers don't have any special reaction when they know I know some words of Spanish.It's like American people. The common thing between them is people who speak popular languages. Otherwise I had an enjoyable time in the class because of my Spanish even though it is very poor. Since the woman next to me,Sra . E, has far sight, I could help her a lot and talk with her in Spanish and English. Then she took an Ecuadorian girl and me home by car. I think I could be a friend of Sra. E and the girl. They are nice and frank. My Spanish used to not be so useful as today.