Sunday, December 9, 2007

Inviting friends with Japanese food

We invited some ESL class mates to our apartment. They were from Brazil and Peru. I have been thinking about the menu for 2 weeks since we invited them because they have only tried sushi rolls once and don't know any other Japanese food. Finally I decided on the following menu: Temarizushi ( Fatty tuna & Salmon ), Tonziru, Kaisou & Tofu Salad, Yakitori, Yakinasu, Yakisoba, Snacks and Sake.

Before I make a decision, I had been trying to make sushi rolls with Makisu but I couldn't roll it well, so my Japanese friend adviced me to make Temarizushi. I could make Temarizushi easily and it looks very pretty without any effort. They were trying to pick up sushi rolls with chopsticks. A Brazilian friend came with her son who is 13 years old and he is curious about another country's culture. He was trying to pick up everything with chopsticks. I don't know if they liked Tonziru (Pork Miso Soup) . Yes, they said that it was good but I think they felt Konnyaku and Gobo were very strange food and I don't know how they felt about the taste of bonito soup (Katsuo Dashi) and soybean paste (Miso). Regarding Tofu Salad, I think they were not interested in vegetables. They ate just a little bit and didn't talk about Seaweed & Tofu. Also nobody tried eggplant (Yakinasu). I love this dish but guess that they didn't feel like having it because of the color or my lack of explanation. Anyway I think that they aren't interested in vegetables. The boy seemed to like Yakisoba & Yakitori. I can say that they liked Japanese snacks and sake very much, specially liking "Lotte Chocopai".

Also they had Taiyaki and Green Tea. A Brazilian friend who tried Momijimanju said that she had been thinking that the Anko (bean paste) was sweet potato. A Peruvian friend hesitated to have Taiyaki because of it's shape. She thought it contained fish inside... I felt it was not so easy to serve Japanese food to foreign people who don't know much about Japanese food. Also I have to know how to explain about the dishes in English. Anyway, that was a very good experience for me.

Also a Peruvian friend brought Peruvian food, Papa a la Huancaina, which was very good. I love the dish. It was the first time I tried a homemade one. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of the dishes because I was trying to serve dishes right after cooking and was very worried about whether they could eat our food. Anyway they are Latinas so they talked a lot!