Thursday, August 16, 2007

ESL Registration

Today, I went to Johnson Public Library in Hackensack City to apply for ESL(English as a second language) class. In the United States, many public libraries offer ESL classes for immigrants. The courses seems to be 2 or 3 times in a year. Otherwise, this library said that it would not offer the class from September this year and it will be only from January of next year. The reason why they don't have class seems to depend on the library's financial standing. They introduced me to Bergen County Community Center that also offers an ESL class. This Center was very close to the library, so I went straight there. One black woman attended me very kindly. She said "there is an ESL class 2 times a week for a total of 10 weeks from October, there are day and night courses, the levels are 3, beginner, intermediate and advanced and also these are free." She said "there will be an application and level check at 1 o'clock tomorrow. Otherwise SSN or tax payment certificate holders have priority so there is a possibility not to be able to take the class." I don't have SSN yet and just applied for SSN on 14th and will be waiting for about 2 months. I informed her of my situation and visa status and she instructed me to bring my passport and a regular mail showing my address. I don't have any mail because I came here just last week. It is only the SSN application receipt that certifies my address so I will try to bring it tomorrow.